I suggest you ...

Special Events

The idea is to promote finding less active letterboxes through special events. We need to think about what to call it and what rules to adopt for scoring... at least to start. We can always adapt the rules iteratively.

12 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John ChapmanAdminJohn Chapman (Product Owner, LbNA) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John ChapmanAdminJohn Chapman (Product Owner, LbNA) commented  · 

I like the idea of encouraging people to find boxes that haven't been found it a while -- maybe a year. Not sure what to do on the website... I could keep track of when people report a find when the previous find was over a year old, but what then? Show a badge of some kind in Member Search? Put a rank with or without numbers on the home page? Give out a patch to the highest members at the end of the summer?

• Silver EagleSilver Eagle commented  · 

We could also have contests to search for specific clues in LBNA using some of the new features. Finding the box would be optional. We could advertise each contest weekly on US Yahoo Group to get people to start using it again. This would get people to use LBNA and realize how good it is. Letterboxers could submit ideas for clue searches (e.g. find clues to a box placed before 2003 involving pirates and birds). At end of week the winners would be announced on the Yahoo Group.

• LockwenchLockwench commented  · 

How about "Leave No Vintage Letterbox Behind" Challenge or something of that ilk? I can get patches; I took over a lot of Mitch's stuff. I like the idea of an icon without a posted number. LW

Types of short term events - brainstorming, not decided
        - Find a Mystery
        - Find an Archived Box
        - National Plant a Letterbox Day
        - Plant a Tribute to another Boxer
        - Snow Find
        - Cemetery Find
        - Indoor Find

Having a variety of short term events makes sense. However, I'm not sure having a patch reward will work from the time and cost involved.

We'd need to brainstorm on the event types and how the counting is done. The simplest thing is to enter an event code in the status comments when reporting a find.

• TrailMarkTrailMark commented  · 

I may not be able to express this well, but the idea of a scoring system and a "leader list" for letterboxers does not – for me at least – fit the spirit of LbNA. I would rather see time-bounded contests or quests; that way, someone who missed one or who chose not to participate will not feel so left out.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I was thinking that this would be a seasonal "contest" and not necessarily built into LbNA. For example, this fall people could participate and the top 1-5 people would receive a patch. Over the winter it could be find mystery ("???" Location) boxes. Next spring a different "contest" would be for those who maintained (to be defined), resurrected or planted the most boxes. Next summer the contest would be who finds boxes in the most counties or get the most new people to sign up and find 5 boxes. There are lots of possibilities (although some might need to be carefully executed).

• Jay DrewJay Drew commented  · 

Dang, I did it again! Of course Choi has this thought through, thank you.

I'm not talking about scoring boxes here. I mean things like 1 point for reporting a find on a box that hasn't been found for 6 months. Scoring would let me make a leader list for the home page to show what member is the "best treasure hunter". I probably wouldn't ever show the number. We could give members the option of displaying an icon by their member name to show their achievement level.

• Jay DrewJay Drew commented  · 

I love the idea of finding older boxes and promoting enthusiasm about them: most of our own boxes fall in that category and we're always delighted when people take the time to seek them out.

I'm a little iffy on the idea of "scoring" letterboxes, and wonder if we might instead do something to award/encourage the Finders who go after these elusive treasures. Something like a treasure seeker icon? That might go along with the name Treasure Hunter you've already mentioned. Jay in CT

Feedback and Knowledge Base